Tuesday 29 April 2014

Endo Complications; Bowels

There are numerous symptoms and side effects –aside from pain associated with endometriosis and they can individually or all at the same time cause extreme discomfort and pain.

One of those side effects is bowel complications.

Though endometriosis is predominantly concentrated in the pelvis, it can also spread to other areas around the body from the bladder to the brain – though this is very rare. The most common areas it spreads to that cause the most complications include the bowels.

When endo occurs on or around the bowels, it generally happens in two ways. It either appears on the outside of the bowel and attaches it to a different organ or the pelvic wall, which alters the natural shape and movement of the bowels or it constricts the bowel itself so that the space becomes too small for waste to pass through comfortably. It also causes complications by infiltrating the bowel, thereby creating problems inside the bowel passage. These issues can go from being uncomfortable to downright painful so having suffered from some of these complications, I have written out my coping methods below.

Water
Along with regular exercise, I think this has been the most important factor in regulating and removing pain from bowel movements. I drink at least 2lts of water a day, along with numerous cups of tea. I have found that it has helped to soften stool and make the process a lot less painful, if you have bowel problems then you probably get those involuntary cramps in your stomach and pelvis when you go to use the bathroom. Water has greatly helped e with these cramps as I now don’t get them as often and they are a lot less painful when I do.

Fibre
I’m sure anyone with any kind of bowel problems has heard that fiber is the great cure for constipation or blockages. What they often forget to mention is that eating too much fiber can cause exactly the same problems and exacerbate a pre-existing condition, especially if you have a sedentary lifestyle, like a lot of endo sufferers do due to pain. Fibre is obviously a necessary part of regular bowel movements and helps to reduce pain associated with constipation due to endo in/on the bowel however this is only if it is taken with a lot of water which it can then absorb to make it easier to pass through the bowel with other foods.

Exercise
Though this might be the toughest part in trying to manage bowel complications. I find that it really helps with regular movements, which will help reduce long-term pain. Even a walk a day, anything from 10 minutes to an hour makes a difference as long as you work your lower half as it helps to physically move the waste through your system instead of relying only on peristalsis. This also helps to strengthen your internal muscles, which helps when passing food.

.        Exercises for your bottom half – squats, lunges, yoga, walking, jogging.

Aloe vera and Green Tea
This is a personal favorite of mine. My mother suggested this for months on end literally when I started complaining about the constant pain I had due to my difficulties using the bathroom but the taste, goodness the taste! I couldn’t face it because the experimental sip I had had in the past made me gag and worked facial muscles I had never felt before.  I find that it helps settle my stomach and subsequently the pain in my pelvis. I have read up on it a little and apparently the polyphenols in green tea and aloe vera help to reduce inflammation- one of the main causes of endo related pain, this in turn I presume reduces inflammation around the bowels and makes it easier for waste to pass through.

This can be a little difficult to fins, so click here to see a link I found on amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment